The global rush for farmland & the people’s struggle against it
This website contains mainly news reports about the global rush to buy up or lease farmlands abroad as a strategy to secure basic food supplies or simply for profit. Its purpose is to serve as a resource for those monitoring or researching the issue, particularly social activists, non-government organisations and journalists.
The site, known as farmlandgrab.org, is updated daily, with all posts entered according to their original publication date. If you want to track updates in real time, please subscribe to the RSS feed. If you prefer a weekly email, with the titles of all materials posted in the last week, subscribe to the email service.
This site was originally set up by GRAIN as a collection of online materials used in the research behind Seized: The 2008 land grab for food and financial security, a report we issued in October 2008. GRAIN is a small international non-profit organisation that works to support small farmers and social movements in their struggles for food sovereignty. We see the current land grab trend as a serious threat to local communities, for reasons outlined in our initial report.
farmlandgrab.org is an open project. Although currently maintained by GRAIN, anyone can join in posting materials or developing the site further. Please feel free to upload your own contributions. (Only the lightest editorial oversight will apply. Postings considered off-topic or other are available here.) Or use the ‘comments’ box under any post to speak up. Just be aware that this site is strictly educational and non-commercial. And if you would like to get more directly involved, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you find this website useful, please consider helping us cover the costs of the work that goes into it. You can do this by going to GRAIN's website and making a donation, no matter how small. We really appreciate the support, and are glad if people who get something out of it can also help participate in what it takes to produce and improve outputs like farmlandgrab.org. If you would like to help out, please click here. Thanks in advance!
* All pictures in the articles on this site can be accessed in their original, full size. Just click on the image, and the original will load.
* As this is a non-commercial site, we delete any comments offering or requesting farmland.
* If you browse the site using the "English/all" navigation option, you will see all the material in all languages. If you browse in "Spanish", you will only see the articles in Spanish (+ Portuguese). And if you browse in "French", you will only see the articles in French. Regardless of what language you navigate in, you can also view articles in any specific language (e.g. only English or only Indonesian) by clicking the appropriate tag in the "Languages" box in the right-hand column.
* When you publish an article, please try to include at least one image. And if you copy-paste material, please do it in plain text only, and then add your own formatting. (If you copy-paste with formatting from somewhere else, it will often create some mess.)
* You can edit your user details at any time (name, email address, password, etc).
Comments. The use of Farmlandgrab material is higly satisfactory (Jpic-jp.org)